Abuse is any behavior used to control, manipulate, or injure someone. It can include physical violence, emotional violence, emotional abuse, verbal threats or financial and sexual control. Examples can include, but are not limited to:
- Pushing, hitting, slapping, choking, kicking, or biting.
- Threats towards you, your children, family, or pets.
- Using, or threatening to use, a weapon against you.
- Keeping or taking your paycheque and controlling financial resources.
- Putting you down, insulting you, or blaming you.
- Threatening suicide if you leave.
- Forcing or pressuring you into sex.
- Keeping you from going to work or seeing family/friends.